PSY 355 Week 1 DQs
Week 1 DQ 1
Please identify at least four things that bring you pleasure and four things that bring you pain. Please post a response to this message. After reading Chapter 1, please answer why do people disagree on what is pleasurable or painful?
When responding to the second part, it would be beneficial if you would use a citation from your text, or some other peer-reviewed source. Opinion is fine, but also uses scholarly sources.
Week 1 DQ 2
Now that we have discussed the concept of internal and external sources of motivation, I would like to pose the following question: Do internal and external sources need to be complementary in order for motivation to occur? Please post a response to this message.
To further our discussion a bit more, please answer the following questions: Do you believe it is possible to motivate a student to obtain an “A” grade if he or she does not value an “A” grade more than a “C” grade? Why or why not?
PSY 355 Week 1 Individual Assignment Sources of Motivation Paper
· Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper in which you examine the concept of motivation.
· Address the following items:
o Define motivation.
o Identify at least two sources of motivation.
o Explain the relationship between motivation and behavior.
o Examine how motivation is exhibited in behavior.
PSY 355 Week 2 DQs
Week 2 DQ 1
Please identify a type of fear (e.g., fear of heights, fear of snakes, fear of germs, and fear of flying) that you or someone you know possess. Then based on your selected fear, answer the following questions:
How did this fear develop?
Could this fear arise in some other way?
Can such fears be explained through principles of classical conditioning? If so, how? If not, why not?
Week 2 DQ 2
Do you think that innate factors have more of an influence on motivation than learned factors? Please post a response to this message.
PSY 355 Week 2 Learning Team Assignment Motivation Theories Presentation
· Resources: Assigned readings, Electronic Reserve Readings, the Internet, and other sources
· Select at least two theories concerning human motivation.
· Obtain faculty approval of your selected theories prior to beginning this assignment.
· Online Campus students must submit a 10- to 12-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation with speaker notes. In your presentation, address the following:
o Explain the major themes of your selected theories.
o Identify the individuals associated with your selected theories.
o Evaluate the effectiveness of your selected theories in explaining various behaviors.
PSY 355 Week 3 DQs
Week 3 DQ 1
How do psychological needs and personality traits differ in the manner in which they motivate behavior? Explain your answer. Think of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs as you answer this question.
Week 3 DQ 2
Class, after reading this electronic reserve article (Hansen article), suggest what the techniques coaches might use to motivate players. What of these approaches might be useful for college students and their motivation? Describe at least two approaches you might use or have used in your own life to motivate yourself or someone you know.
Class, after reading this electronic reserve article (Hansen article), suggest what the techniques coaches might use to motivate players.
PSY 355 Week 3 Individual Assignment Motivation and the Brain Paper
· Select one of the following topics as the basis for this paper:
o Eating healthy
o Quitting smoking
o Quitting drinking
o Refraining from using drugs
· Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you analyze the brain structures and functions associated with the motivation to engage in your selected behavior.
· Evaluate the influence of extrinsic and intrinsic factors, including heredity and the environment, on the motivation to engage in your selected behavior.
· Include at least three references from scholarly, peer-reviewed sources.
PSY 355 Week 4 Individual Assignment Arousal, Behavior, Stress, and Affect Worksheet
· Resource: University of Phoenix Material, Arousal, Behavior, Stress, and Affect Worksheet, located on the student Web site
· Complete the worksheet.
PSY 355 Week 5 Learning Team Assignment Emotions Paper
· Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you analyze the function of emotions as motive. Address the following items in your analysis:
o Describe at least two historical theories of emotion and arousal as they relate to human motivation.
o Analyze at lease two research methods used for uncovering basic emotions.
o Discuss the facial feedback hypothesis, particularly the event-appraisal-emotion sequence.