PSY 310 Week 1 DQs
Week 1 DQ 1
The statement “know thy self” is attributed to the early Greek philosopher Socrates. How does this statement serve as a “seed” for the development of psychology as a formal discipline some 2,400 years later?
Week 1 DQ 2
Why is the mind/body relationship a problem? Why does this particular topic appear repeatedly over centuries of philosophical inquiry and on into the formal field of psychology?
PSY 310 Week 1 Individual Assignment History of Psychology Paper
· Write a 750- to 1,050-word paper in which you discuss the roots in early philosophy leading into the 19th century that influenced the development of modern psychology. Include the following:
o Identify philosophers that historically relate to the beginnings of psychology as a formal discipline.
o Identify major philosophers in the western tradition that were primary contributors to the formation of psychology as a discipline.
o Explore the development of the science of psychology during the 19th century.
PSY 310 Week 2 DQs
Week 2 DQ 1
What are the advantages of classifying mental disorders into “types” and maintaining such taxonomy for clinical reference? Explain your answer. What are the disadvantages of classifying mental disorders into “types” and maintaining such taxonomy for clinical reference? Explain your answer.
Week 2 DQ 2
What is “evolution theory”? How did the formulation of “evolution theory” impact the development of psychology as a formal discipline?
PSY 310 Week 2 Individual Assignment Women in Psychology Paper
· Select a woman who has made significant contributions to the field of psychology between the years 1850 and 1950. Obtain faculty approval of your selection prior to beginning this assignment (post your selection in your Individual forum).
· Prepare a 1,400- to 1,750-word paper in which you describe her background, theoretical perspective, and contributions to the field of psychology.
PSY 310 Week 3 DQs
Week 3 DQ 1
What are psychoanalytical models? How have these models been used to explain human behavior? Which model do you feel is the most effective in explaining human behavior? Why?
Week 3 DQ 2
In the field of psychology, what is meant by the term “catharsis”? According to Joseph Bruer, what effect did “catharsis” have on the mental functioning of someone with a “troubled mind”? Why?
PSY 310 Week 3 Learning Team Assignment Theoretical Position Paper
· Prepare a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you compare and contrast the basic theoretical positions of Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Alfred Adler, and William James. Describe the differences among their perspectives concerning the causes and nature of human psychological functioning. Be sure to focus your paper on the specific similarities and differences between the perspectives.
PSY 310 Week 4 DQs
Week 4 DQ 1
What is radical behaviorism? What is cognitive psychology? How are radical behaviorism and cognitive psychology similar? How are they different?
Week 4 DQ 2
What role do ethics play in experimentation? What are some ethical issues associated with John B. Watson’s conditioning of phobic responses?
PSY 310 Week 4 Individual Assignment Perspectives Paper
· Prepare a 1,400- to 1,750-word paper in which you compare and contrast the perspectives of John B. Watson and B.F. Skinner with that of Edward C. Tolman. Describe how each perspective relates to the field of modern-day psychology. Be sure to focus your paper on the specific similarities and differences between the perspectives.
PSY 310 Week 5 DQs
Week 5 DQ 1
What historical methods were used to conduct research concerning the localization of behavior/brain relationships? Which method do you feel is the most effective? Why?
Week 5 DQ 2
Describe five trends (not specialties in psychology) that are evident in modern psychology. Provide a current example from the field of psychology for at least one of the trends.
PSY 310 Week 5 LTA Biological and Cognitive Psychology Presentation
· Prepare a presentation with 10 to 12 PowerPoint® slides(including the title slide and APA formatted references slide) in ppt or pptx format and presenter notes in which you discuss the topic you selected for your Biological and Cognitive Psychology Presentation. The presenter notes should be included at the bottom of the relevant slides. These notes may include key points and questions you would ask the class. Graphics are required; remember to cite your sources. Also, use bullet points with short phrases on the slides.